Tuesday, December 05, 2006

THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING, MUSINGS FROM A LATE JOINER

Self-admittedly, blogs are not something I've given too much consideration to at this point in my life. I think I have even made fun of a friend or two for having one. On the other hand, I won't be getting on here everyday and posting about the mundane details of my life, so I still recuse myself from being a part of the -what is it - blogoland? blogomunity? This is actually a great way to keep everyone informed as to what is going on with the project!

Anyway, as Kara and I are late joiners to the effort, I think it is just hitting us that this is happening. We are both excited and ready to jump in head first. This weekend the team spent a good part of two days framing out benches for the back of the bus. Amanda and Jenna took the reigns in the design department and after much discussion about how to build these, we just started cutting wood and screwing it together. How many PBC'ers does is take to screw in a screw? Apparently at least six...

None of us are 100% convinced that these structures are capable of holding human beings, but once we attach them to the bus and add some plywood we should be good to go. They only need to be functional for the duration of the trip, as we imagine whoever ends up with the bus will not want them, and possibly even get a chuckle out of their dubious construction...

It was great working as a team for the first time in getting something done to the bus, spirits are high. There's still a lot left to do, as Ed has talked to the shipping company and the bus will need to head out to sea on the 3rd or 4th of January.

I see many cold afternoons working on the bus in our near future...but as Ed noted, we will do what we can to prepare the bus before she leaves for England then it's in the automotive gods hands...

1 comment:

Jay said...

Finally, someone else has posted to the site. Thanks, Scott.

I think you left out the fact that it took all of us 2 days to make a couple of box frames. Or the fact that "box" is used relatively, since we don't have a straight line in any of the structures.
At first, I thought that twisted and bent framing job that we did would fit in better with the overall state of the bus. Kind of like two wrongs making a right. Even if that turns out not to be the case, though, I think that our "creations" are effective metaphors for this team - we're all a little off, haphazardly put together, but we eventually get the job done (I'm hoping).